This summer course will focus on urgent topics in global health ethics and equity. With an enthusiastic team of experts from all over the world, we will discuss the major challenges to health equity in the world at this moment as well as potential solutions. This programme is a collaboration between the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Royal Tropical Institute.
The summer course will focus on urgent topics in global health ethics and equity. With an enthusiastic team of experts from all over the world, we will discuss the major challenges to health equity in the world at this moment as well as potential solutions. This course is a collaboration between the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Royal Tropical Institute (KIT).
Lecturers of the Global health ethics & equity summer school include:
- Dr. Rieke van der Graaf (UMC Utrecht)
- Dr. Joyce Browne (UMC. Utrecht)
- Dr. Sandra Alba (Royal Tropical Institute (KIT)
- Dr. Himani Bhakuni (UMC Utrecht / University Maastricht)
- Dr. Tarek Meguid
- Prof. Dr. Seye Abimbola (UMC Utrecht / University of Sydney)
- Dr Bridget Pratt (Australian Catholic University)
- Dr. Judith van de Kamp (UMC Utrecht)
- Ms. Koiwah Koi-Larbi Ofosuapea (Action on Preeclampsia Ghana)
- Dr. Amrish Baidjoe (Médecins Sans Frontières, LSHTM)
- Dr. Arnold Lubbers (Dutch Research Council, NWO)
For more details on lectures, please download the course program booklet here.
This course is open to all with an interest in global health and health equity:
- Master’s level students (Medical/global health/public health/biomedical sciences/Philosophy/Bioethics/Applied Ethics/Sociology)
- Medical doctors, bioethicists, (political) philosophers, sociologists
- (PhD) researchers
- Policy makers
Aim of the course
Guest lecturers will provide interactive sessions, alternated by small group work, to address the following learning objectives:
- To understand the key challenges in global health ethics and equity;
- To discuss strategies to address the key challenges;
- To argue for a position in health equity debates.
Fulltime, one week in Utrecht (the Netherlands).
Different registration fees apply:
- Full/regular fee: €595,-
- MIC or LIC* based participants: €295,-
These early bird registration fees apply until April 15th.
*LIC and MIC are lower and (upper and lower-)middle income countries, as classified by the World Bank. Participants can apply for the LIC/MIC fee based on the location of the institution they are affiliated to. Limited discounted places available.
*KA107 participants pay full fee
If you combine this Summer School with 'Global Surgery and OBGYN', 'Global Maternal and Child Health, 'Justice in Obstetrics', or 'Fundamentals in Global Health', there is an additional discount of €30 per course. Please mention this to us, so we can apply the discount.
For this course you are required to upload the following documents when applying: