This summer course focuses on urgent topics in global health ethics and equity. With an enthusiastic team of experts from all over the world, the current major challenges to health equity in the world as well as potential solutions are discussed. This programme is a collaboration between the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Royal Tropical Institute.
The summer course focuses on urgent topics in global health ethics and equity. With an enthusiastic team of experts from all over the world, the major current challenges to health equity in the world as well as potential solutions are discussed. This course is a collaboration between the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Royal Tropical Institute (KIT).
The course programme booklet will be available in March 2023. Curious about last year's edition? Have a look at the course programme booklet here.
Lecturers of the 2023 Global Health Ethics & Equity summer school are:
- Dr. Rieke van der Graaf (UMC Utrecht)
- Dr. Joyce Browne (UMC. Utrecht)
- Prof. Dr. Seye Abimbola (University of Sydney)
- Dr Bridget Pratt (Australian Catholic University)
- Dr. Sandra Alba (Royal Tropical Institute (KIT)
- Dr. Sharon Kaur (University of Malaya)
- Dr. Tarek Meguid
- Dr. Florencia Luna (Universidad de Buenos Aires)
- Ms. Koiwah Koi-Larbi Ofosuapea (Action on Preeclampsia Ghana)
- Dr. Arnold Lubbers (Dutch Research Council, NWO)
- Dr. Amrish Baidjoe (Médecins Sans Frontières, LSHTM)
- Dr. Judith van de Kamp (UMC Utrecht)
More information about the programme and lecturers will become available in November 2023.
Curious about last year's edition? Have a look at the course programme booklet here.
This course is open to all with an interest in global health and health equity:
- Professionals: medical doctors, bioethicists, (political) philosophers, sociologists
- (PhD) researchers, from any discipline but with an affinity with Global Health
- Policy makers
- Master’s level students from a wide range of eligible backgrounds, e.g. medicine, global health, public health, biomedical sciences, philosophy, bioethics, applied ethics, sociology
Aim of the course
Guest lecturers will provide interactive sessions, alternated by small group work, to address the following learning objectives:
- To understand the key challenges in global health ethics and equity
- To discuss strategies to address the key challenges
- To argue for a position in health equity debates.
Fulltime, one week in Utrecht (the Netherlands).
This course has the following fee options, based on your individual circumstances and application date:
These early bird registration fees apply until 15 March.
*LMIC are low- and middle-income countries, as classified by the World Bank. Participants can apply for the LMIC fee based on the location of the institution they are affiliated to. HIC are high-income countries, as classified by the World Bank.
*Erasmus+ KA107 or KA171 participants pay full fee.
If you combine this summer school with other Global Health courses, there is an additional discount of €30 per course. Please mention this in your application, so we can apply the discount.
For this course you are required to upload the following documents when applying: