The diverse composition of speakers and participants from all over the globe guarantees a unique opportunity to connect and learn from different backgrounds and viewpoints.
After successful live, online and hybrid editions of the Global Surgery and Obstetrics - Gynaecology summer school, we are planning to return to Utrecht in 2024 with a hybrid course!
This course is a collaboration of
- UMCU: Julius Global Health (www.globalhealth.eu), Surgical Department and Division Woman & Baby at the Wilhemina Children's Hospital
- The Netherlands Society for International Surgery NSIS (www.surgicalneed.nl)
- The Dutch Working Party for Safe Motherhood and International Reproductive Health (www.safemotherhood.nl).
We are looking forward to welcoming a diverse group of participants, including:
- Health professionals: surgical and obstetrics/gynaecology residents, clinical officers, residents in International Health and tropical medicine (AIGT), midwives, surgeons, and OBGYNs
- Health researchers
- Policy makers with an interest in surgery and women’s health
- Master’s level students (Medical/global health/public health/biomedical sciences/midwifery) are welcome to join this course too, but are expected to have working experience in a low resource setting.
Professional accreditation will be requested with NVOG, NVTG and NVH. Please contact us if you are interested in discussing other accreditation options.
Aim of the course
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss key challenges in surgery and maternal health globally
- Discuss the main features of the G4 alliance and how these relate to better health globally: Surgical, Obstetric, Trauma and Anaesthesia care
- Provide a comprehensive overview of strategies to improve surgical care and maternal health outcomes
- Discuss the role of the Sustainable Development Goals, social determinants, gender dynamics; human rights and policy to improve reproductive and maternal health outcomes
- Collaborate effectively within an international group of participants and faculty.
Course + course materials + lunch
Utrecht Summer School
Different registration fees apply:
- Full/regular fee: € 595,-
- MIC or LIC* based participants: € 395,-
*LIC and MIC are lower and (upper and lower-)middle income countries, as classified by the World Bank. Participants can apply for the LIC/MIC fee based on the location of the institution they are affiliated to. Limited number of discounted places available.
*KA107 participants pay full fee
The housing costs include housing, plus a Utrecht Summer School sleeping bag, for you to keep. This sleeping bag also includes an inflatable pillow and matrass cover. If you wish to bring your own bedding, please contact us, so we can give you a € 50 discount on the housing fee. Please note that you cannot buy individual bedding items.
For this course you are required to upload the following documents when applying: