The Global Surgery & Obstetrics/Gynaecology summer course provides a unique overview of topics related to Global Surgery, Gynaecology and Maternal care, with an emphasis on essential surgical care from a worldwide perspective. A great variety of topics will be discussed in interactive lectures, case study sessions and small working group with experts in the field. The diverse composition of speakers and participants from all over the globe, will guarantee a unique opportunity to connect and learn from different backgrounds and viewpoints.
After successful live, online and hybrid editions of the Global Surgery and Obstetrics - Gynaecology summer school, we are planning to return to Utrecht in 2023 with a hybrid course!
This course is a collaboration of
- UMCU: Julius Global Health (www.globalhealth.eu), Surgical Department and Division Woman & Baby at the Wilhemina Children's Hospital
- The Netherlands Society for International Surgery NSIS (www.surgicalneed.nl)
- The Dutch Working Party for Safe Motherhood and International Reproductive Health (www.safemotherhood.nl).
Representatives of the UMCU, Netherlands Society for International Surgery (NSIS), Global Surgery Amsterdam, the Working Party of Safe Motherhood and many others with experience in the field, including international partners. The full list of lectures will be available in Spring 2023.
We are looking forward to welcome a diverse group of participants, including:
- Health professionals: surgical and obstetrics/gynaecology residents, clinical officers, residents in International Health and tropical medicine (AIGT), midwives, surgeons, and OBGYNs
- Health researchers
- Policy makers with an interest in surgery and women’s health
- Master’s level students (Medical/global health/public health/biomedical sciences/midwifery) are welcome to join this course too, but are expected to have working experience in a low resource setting.
Professional accreditation will be requested with NVOG, NVTG and NVH. Please contact us if you're interested to discuss other accreditation options.
Aim of the course
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss key challenges in surgery and maternal health globally;
- Discuss the main features of the 4G alliance and how these relate to better health globally: Surgical, Obstetric, Trauma and Anaesthesia care;
- Provide a comprehensive overview of strategies to improve surgical care and maternal health outcomes;
- Discuss the role of the Sustainable Development Goals, social determinants, gender dynamics; human rights and policy to improve reproductive and maternal health outcomes
- Collaborate effectively within international group of participants and faculty.
Different registration fees apply:
- Full/regular fee: €595,-
- MIC or LIC* based participants: €295,-
*LIC and MIC are lower and (upper and lower-)middle income countries, as classified by the World Bank. Participants can apply for the LIC/MIC fee based on the location of the institution they are affiliated to. Limited discounted places available.
*KA107 participants pay full fee
For this course you are required to upload the following documents when applying:
- Dr. Marcus Rijken (Gynaecology/Obstetrics)
- Drs. Eva Stortelder (Surgery)
- Drs. Hanna Hazenberg (International Health and Tropical Medicine)
- Drs. Charissa Rahmee (Plastic Surgery and IHTM)
- Dr. Joyce Browne (Maternal Health)