Would you like to be able to speak Dutch in shops and cafes? Do you enjoy having small conversations with Dutch natives? This course is designed for beginners with no prior knowledge of Dutch. In a small class of up to 18 students and under the guidance of a qualified trainer you will learn to communicate in Dutch at an elementary level. By the end of the course you’ll be able to introduce yourself, make an appointment or order a drink, and you’ll be acquainted with typical Dutch customs and habits.
In a pleasant and supportive environment you’ll make your first steps in learning the Dutch language.This course will help you:
- build elementary vocabulary.
- learn basic grammar (present tense, pronouns, phrase structure, negation, plural, modal verbs, adjectives).
- develop your speaking skills (pronunciation, responding, conversations).
- develop your writing skills (spelling, emails, simple texts).
- improve your comprehension of spoken Dutch.
- improve your comprehension of written Dutch.
The Babel institute is situated in a monumental building in the centre of Utrecht. We encourage you to explore this beautiful part of the Netherlands in your free time and practise your newly acquired skills with Dutch locals.
Registration information: registration closes 4 weeks before the start of the course. You can apply via this website.You don’t have to do a placement test, as it’s a beginners course.
This course is suitable for learners with no prior knowledge of Dutch. This course will predominantly be taught in Dutch, with English as a supporting language. A good command of English is therefore required.
Aim of the course
This course aims to provide you with basic knowledge of the Dutch language up to CEFR level A1-. At the end of the course you will be able to:
- understand and use commonly used expressions and basic phrases.
- introduce yourself and others, and ask for or provide personal details.
- have basic conversations, provided the other person talks slowly and clearly.
- Total study load: 50 hours
- Contact hours: 27
- Hours of self-study at the institute: 12
- Homework: 11