The Chinese language is the most widely spoken language in the world. Learning Chinese can open a new door for you to explore the culture and society of this rapidly developing country. Starting with basic knowledge of Chinese (HSK 3 or more than 400 study hours), you will be able to further your language skills, converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and learn 300 new words (including the characters) at the end of this four-week intensive course. In addition, you will earn 7.5 ETCS after successful completion of this course and be halfway to HSK 4.
Why would you learn Chinese?
China is a rapidly developing country with a growing global influence. The Chinese language is the most widely spoken language in the world (1.1 billion speakers), while being one of the oldest languages still in use. Besides, the Chinese culture, history, politics, economy and society are drawing more and more interest worldwide and are also becoming popular research topics among academics.
What is the HSK test?
The Chinese Proficiency Test, HSK, which stands for Hànyǔ (Chinese) Shuǐpíng (level) Kǎoshì (test), is an international standardized exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. The HSK testing system consists of six levels: HSK I to HSK VI.
Please see http://english.hanban.org/node_8002.htm for more information.
What will you be able to do with HSK level IV?
- Learners who reach HSK level IV will be able to converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers.;
- You can continue your study of Chinese (or China Studies) at University College Utrecht in the following academic year and join the Chinese Language and Culture IV course;
- The test result is recognized worldwide by universities, institutions and companies.
Which language aspects will we cover in the course?
- Listening, speaking (Mandarin), reading and writing characters (including typing), although the official HSK mainly tests listening, reading and writing;
- Knowledge about Chinese culture and society behind the language.
What will you learn from the course?
- More than 300 commonly used words;
- Around 50 key grammar points;
- A wide range of conversation topics;
- Knowledge about Chinese culture and society.
18 July - 12 August
We will have online classes every day except on Wednesdays (Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri) at 13:30-15:00 a.m.
In total: 16 meetings including the final exam.
Contact hours: 24.
Self-study hours: >40 (>80 for ECTS receivers with watching series of documentaries about China and writing an essay about Chinese culture/society).
*Please purchase the books yourself before the course starts.
HSK Standard Course 4 上- Textbook
Author: Jiang Liping | Publisher: Beijing Language & Culture University Press, China | ISBN 9787561939031
HSK Standard Course 4 上- Workbook
Author: Jiang Liping | Publisher: Beijing Language & Culture University Press, China | ISBN 9787561941171
min. 5 participants
Dr. Meiyi Bao | Assistent Professor and Coordinator of China Studies | University College Utrecht
University College Utrecht | China Studies | E: email@example.com